No files for selected year.
CORPORATE SUSTAINABILITY POLICY
Saraiva (“Saraiva”) is formed by Saraiva S.A. Livreiros Editores (“Editora Saraiva”), a leading book publisher in Brazil, and by Saraiva e Siciliano S.A. (“Livraria Saraiva”), a market leader in bookstores and holder of one of the largest e-commerce sites in the country. It always guided the conduct of its business with ethics and transparency, and admittedly contributed to the cultural and intellectual development of people in Brazil as a whole, either through the production of their own editorial content, either by marketing the most varied literary and artistic works produced by others.
This Corporate Sustainability Policy of Saraiva (“Sustainability Policy”) formalizes this important social function that has always permeated their activities and firm bases in order to Saraiva to continue, in the long term, an important role in society and in the sustainable development of Brazil. In this context, this Sustainability Policy sets guidelines for sustainability composed of several themes of importance to Saraiva, seeking the continuity of their business and hence the continuity of generating value for its several stakeholders.
Establish guidelines that guide the shares of Saraiva as to the promotion of sustainable development in their business. So, for Saraiva, this Sustainability Policy aims to:
- Formalize the commitment to the sustainable development of its business in Brazil and in the Planet Earth;
- Integrate and permeate sustainability, permanently, to all its business and operations;
- Define your business strategy in relation to sustainability, consisting primarily, by Editora Saraiva, for the production of editorial content related to sustainability and, by Livraria Saraiva, for the dissemination of this knowledge through product marketing and promotion of events, lectures and debates related to this topic, permanently and impartially;
All Corporate Policies of Saraiva, current and future ones, should be, to some extent, driven by this Sustainability Policy.
This Corporate Sustainability Policy sets out the following guidelines: Management
- Ethics and respect as a pillar of their relationships;
- Honesty and integrity in the conduct of its business;
- Compliance with legal requirements and regulations, as well as the operational procedures set internally;
- Fight corruption in all its forms;
- Responsibility in construction and preservation of Saraiva‘s asset, ensuring to all stakeholders the benefits that may result from its proper management;
- Zeal for strict confidentiality of information and documents;
- Preservation of the environment.
Goods and Services
- Development and commercialization of non-harmful products to the environment or to people and which collaborate for the educational and cultural advancement of the country;
- Creation of products and services that add tangible and intangible value for people, through their personal, professional and spiritual growth;
- Inovação constante em produtos, serviços e processos operacionais internos visando à melhoria continua.
- Unconditional respect for human rights, the laws and regulations governing labor relations and free access to union;
- Respect and appreciation for internal employees and contractors;
- Preservation of health and physical integrity of internal employees and contractors;
- Encourage to employees engagement with issues of sustainability, environmental preservation and social responsibility;
- Consolidation of environmental practices, to attract and retain talent increasingly concerned with these issues.
Relationship with suppliers
- Repudiation to any service of illegal or immoral nature;
- Commitment to high standards of professionalism, by selecting, evaluating and hiring reputable known and acquitted suppliers;
- Construction, whenever possible, of a solid and long-lasting relationship with suppliers;
- No receipt of any benefits that might jeopardize fair trade or professional relationship;
- Engagement on the topic of sustainability, encouraging the multiplication of concepts across the value chain.
Relationship with customers and consumers
- Constantly striving for excellence in relationship with its customers and consumers, in any of its products, services, formats and channels of service;
- Transparency in information and campaigns related to its products and services;
- Do not offer any benefits to customers and consumers in order to influence them for the purpose of obtaining undue or improper advantage.
Relationship with society
- Commitment to its social function linked to the promotion of culture, knowledge, leisure and entertainment;
- Greater attractiveness for investors because of its environmental responsibility, beyond profit;
- Commitment to the care and education of children of the Institute Jorge Saraiva;
- Promotion of publications pro bono and donations of books and other products.
- Efficiency in the processes and consumption of renewable and non-renewable raw materials;
- Monitoring and management to reduce the consumption of natural resources and energy and emissions of greenhouse gases;
- Permanent attention to scientific studies and references related to the topic of sustainability and its dissemination to the general public.
4. Commitment and accountability
- Map, analyze and adhere to voluntary public commitments that are aligned with the practices described in this Sustainability Policy;
- Report and publicize, in writing, the practices described in this Sustainability Policy, periodically and appropriately to each of its stakeholders.
5. Governance for Sustainability
The governance structure for sustainability aims to strengthen the sustainability agenda in the decision-making process of Saraiva and it is composed of the following operational and decision-making bodies:
- Board of Directors and Presidency of each of the companies comprising Saraiva: fixed broad and general guidelines and conducts biannual monitoring of the sustainability strategy of their company;
- Sustainability Committee: defines the strategy to implement the guidelines established by the Board and by the Presidencies; it consists of, at least, 4 (four) Statutory Directors or not, being 2 (two) Directors of Editora Saraiva and 2 (two) Directors of Livraria Saraiva, who will be appointed by the Presidency of each of these companies and they can choose together, 1 (one) more external member with recognized expertise in issues related to sustainability; and should meet monthly and report their activities, periodically, to the Board of Directors and the Presidency of each of the companies of Saraiva;
- Working Groups: operationalize the integration of sustainability into Saraiva, with variable and multidisciplinary composition; they will be created and dissolved periodically, in accordance with the technical and operational needs arising from the strategy defined by the Sustainability Committee.
6. Standards Related
- Code of Ethics;
- Environmental Policy and Health and Safety at Work;
- Relationship with Suppliers Policy;
- Technology Policy.
The Corporate Sustainability Policy has an indefinite term, however, each year should be verified the need or relevance of reviews in its content.